Saturday, May 23, 2009

I apologize for i wasn't able to write up yesterday ..The is no valid reason I could come up ..why can't the thoughts (rather i should be using several adjectives for it) prevailing in anyone's mind can settle just the way everything gets after it had rained. Was feeling terribly home sick yesterday and to worsen the current situation all my friends are already @ their home..getting busy with their own stuffs.
The morning started a bit early than it usually does (owing to the sunlight directly falling on me) ..and after the routine daily chores I decided to burry myself into the newspaper(which is very unlike of me these days)..Well I'm a bit frustated with the never ending intern ( appearantly I've only a month left). There are tiny suttle things which aren't working and I ain't able to find any lead to proceed.
IE 7 in my laptop required an updation to 8, which funnily had caused some bugs to creep into it. When ever it goes for downloading the content from the server in URL it always ends up in an dialog box showing that an errror occured in the dialog box itself ( Ironicaly it's similar to killing task manager process within the task manager )

Well complying to company's policy I'm working for. . I can't reveal my project yet I certainly can discuss the issues cropping up on the way.
For all those who are naive to DHTML (which i was few months prior to now) .. it's a web based technology that adds the capability for a programmer to create HTML DOM elements on the fly.. Since very obviously these HTML pages are to rendered by the varied kind of browsers..While programming we need to be well aware of how this is interpreted and handled by all kind of varieties.
Since I've got to work on Sidebar (which resembles IE 8 for many rendering behaviors) I've to majorly deal with internet explorer(I never complained of using microsoft services prior to this). Appearantly..adding events to DOM elements in IE is done a bit differently(which is termed as LAZY eventing) For example:
" html_dom_element.onclick=function_name;" would work perfectly when viewed in FireFox and Opera ..But it won't on IE.
To get it done in IE.. the mere change to be brought is to calling function_name indirectly.
" html_dom_element.onclick=handle_function_name;" and it turns out that handle_function_name calls function_name.In case,you need to pass the same DOM element you're referring to while this function was called .. you need to add this parameter.
" html_dom_element.onclick=handle_function_name;
\\--rest of your code--
function handle_function_name(){
function_name(this);
}"

(Gosh !! So damn easy and minute detail yet believe me it took almost half a day to discover it)
Further..few details about SIDEBAR.. Sidebar serves as a engine to host "gadgets" ( as called in Vista) When ever the user prefers for running the sidebar..when viewed in the task manager there are two processes running with the same name. One of them serves as the engine for those gadgets provided by default and the later one for those which the user creates(typically by downloaded or through his own intelligence). Sidebar can be related to IE 8 in many respects..The baseline is that when any request(AJAXor any window.open) goes from sidebar to any of the server..the server recongnizes the source application as IE8..Inspite of this to distinguish IE8 from sidebar ...one the HTTP request headers (REFERER) is modified to "x-gadget". The XMLHTTPRequest which is apt for IE8 environment for AJAX requests doesn't stands valid for sidebar..you need to opt for ActiveXObject instead...(phew!! these are the facts which took several days for me to know)....Now that I'm through learning all these.. I've a brand new prob cropped up..
When I dynamically issue a script tag for HTML to be included..does the js mentioned in src of the tag gets stored in the cache ?? And if for sure it does gets..why isn't sidebar having the same resemblence ???
Well...Feeling hungry so gotcha go ...need to assure that I certainly am reaching to the solution otherwise which my project is nothing but a fallacy...:(
Anyways ...alohaa

No comments:

Post a Comment